Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Arranging artwork can be high impact, low cost

Apologies for the brief hiatus. I'm still getting into the swing of things with this here blog, and did I mention my boyfriend and I are also painting our house? More on that at a later date.

Today for your viewing pleasure, I bring you some inspiring art arrangements. I have full confidence that you can produce something similar without making a huge dent in the old pocketbook. If you have an old book of botanical prints or similar, pick a few of your favorites and frame them up. Grouping mirrors or plates together is another great look.

Maybe you have a lot of things that are different colors or sizes. I think a lot of times the key to a cohesive look when grouping a bunch of disparate art together is adhering mainly to one frame and/or mat color. Luckily, places like IKEA, Target and even sometimes Michaels (especially with a 50% off coupon) make it affordable to achieve a polished appearance.


A symmetrical arrangement with birds. Fantastic! I want to move into this room now.

Great example of combining different colors/types of art — sorry I'm forgetting a source here!

Same color mat = pulled together. (photo via dwellings & décor)


I think this one originally appeared in Domino (RIP).

Seemingly all different, but there are definitely some color consistencies here.

In the bathroom? As they say in the infomercials (and hilarious infomercial dubs), "Why not?"

Mirrors work great too.

Just lovely, no?

Proof that groupings in inexpensive make a big impact. (Photo from Jorey Hurley's home via Design*Sponge.)

You could even skip the frames and tack inspiring images right on the wall for a collage effect.

Incidentally, right now IKEA has an online guide on how to hang pictures. Or for a more technical how-to, turn to Martha. With the right tools and a little imagination, it's possible to create an interesting focal point in any room of the house.

Have a great arrangement of art in your home? Send me a picture! I'd love to display it here.

1 comment: