Monday, June 29, 2009

Painted wood is good, Part Deux

Since I've still got wood on my mind (hee hee) I think I'll take this opportunity to express my undying affection for painted cabinets.

I've discovered that when a girl of a certain age takes stock of her various musings on the subject of home decor some patterns begin to form. Allow me to explain... In an effort to allay a growing fear that my decorating tastes ran in more different directions than spin art* at the county fair, I began collecting a "style file" of web photos some months back to try to make sense of my seemingly disparate likes. My first and most obvious observation was the fact that every photo I'd collected of a kitchen featured painted cabinets.

My cabinets are plain old maple (meh), so the following photos are certainly an inspiration for me to get busy with the brush. My apologies for any un-sourced photos here.


photo from Domino




photo via katy elliott (Is that a pecky cypress ceiling? Like that. Reminds me of old Florida homes.)


photo from Domino (one of my absolute favorite favorites)



Nate Berkus' kitchen, featured in Elle Décor

photo from Cottage Living

photo from House Beautiful

fantastic kitchen re-do from Life In Grace

photo from Country Living

*In case you've suddenly found yourself waxing nostalgic, here is a tutorial on making your very own spin art. Hey, that definitely falls under the category of cheap decor! Why not recruit some youngsters and make a whole wall full? Don't forget the IKEA frames!

No comments:

Post a Comment