Monday, July 6, 2009

I heart free furniture

Those who know me well know that I have several weaknesses. Carrot cake, British comedy, and furniture left at the curb. Well, there are probably a few others too. Best to save those for another day, another post.

But back to the curbside castaways. Over the years I've become somewhat infamous for acquiring all sorts of misfit furniture in varying degrees of salvageable-ness. I've had a few great hauls, and some not so great ones. But the beauty of not having to shell out any money is you're free to experiment freely.

My neighbor from across the street recently moved out of state, leaving a large portion of her household goods to be sold at a garage sale. When it was all said and done, the unsold merchandise was left in the driveway with a sign indicating that everything there was free. So I carted these two items back to my carport, where they're awaiting their makeovers.

Hardware's actually sort of neat. Structurally in good shape but the finish is best described as some sort of badly damaged green tortoiseshell shellac type thing.

These narrow drawers are going to require a some wood filler, a little glue and a lot of love. I've pried most of the chipped loose veneer off the drawer fronts. Am thinking of adhering some decorative paper or something over those spots and painting the rest a fun color. Not sure yet!

So, any ideas on how to transform these pieces? I'd love some suggestions!

2 comments:

  1. Both very fun- I'd say these were good hauls! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Now that the house painting project is done, when my strength returns maybe it's time to get creative.

    ReplyDelete