Friday, July 17, 2009

I Heart(h) Fireplaces

Ha ha. Yes, I know I'm a total cheese-ball. But it's true. This Florida native has always loved the charm a fireplace brings to a room. Case in point: when we bought our house two years ago, I prioritized having a fireplace over a pool.

But here in the Sunshine State, where the "summer" (I consider this May – September) feels not entirely unlike vacationing in the devil's butt crack, the old hearth can start to feel a little neglected. So while I pine away for the respite of fall, I'm thinking about doing a little fireplace makeover.

Photo from Sunset Magazine

As far as I'm concerned, this looks great. Not only does it keep your fireplace in service any time of the year (wasted space bugs me), it's just the thing for anyone who has a non-working fireplace in their house. And you don't have to mess around with balls of newspaper and pokers.

In my opinion, this look works best when your candles are all the same color and of varied heights. That can be accomplished cost effectively though. A trip to a dollar store or discount place like Tuesday Morning, et voilà — you're in business. If you're only able to score one size of candle, you can still get the multi-level effect by placing the back row on top of a couple bricks.

Is anyone out there already rocking this look? If so, how do you like it? Send me a pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment